March 16, 2012
Every three years the Canadian Council of Professional Fish Harvesters (CCPFH) hosts its General Assembly. The latest assembly took place in Vancouver on February 6th to the 8th. During this assembly, new Board of Directors was nominated.
The CCPFH would like to welcome both new and previously nominated Directors:
- President - Earle McCurdy – Fish Food and Allied Workers
- Vice-President - Ronnie Heighton – Gulf of Nova Scotia Fleet Planning Board
- Vice-President - Dan Edwards - United Fishermen and Allied Workers Union
- Treasurer - O’Neil Cloutier – Alliance des pêcheurs professionnels du Québec
- Secretary - Rory McLellan – PEI Shellfish Association
- Past President - François Poulin
- Director – Bill Broderick – Fish Food and Allied Workers
- Director – Christian Brun – Maritime Fishermen’s Union / Union des pêcheurs des Maritimes
- Director – Mario Desraspe – Alliance des pêcheurs professionnels du Québec
- Director – Helgi Einarsson – Manitoba Commercial Inland Fishers Federation
- Director - Ed Frenette – Mi’kmaq Confederacy of Prince Edward Island
- Director Serge Langelier – Agence Mamu Innu Kaikusseht
- Director - Jean Lanteigne – Fédération Régionale Acadienne des Pêcheurs Professionnels
- Director – Keith Paugh – Prince County Fishermen’s Association
- Director - Kathy Scarfo - Area G / Troll Fishery Association
Board of Directors are nominated by the membership and represent different regions. Each province with fish harvesting organizations may have 2 representatives. In addition, First Nations have a representative for the Atlantic Region, Pacific Region and Central/Arctic Region.
Board of Directors meet on a quarterly basis. They help guide the CCPFH during their 3 year tenure and when necessary, help form committees to support plans and to work on specific industry issues.
The CCPFH has worked on notable projects during recent years including a traceability project with This Fish, training programs, studies, virtual simulators, among many other projects. This was made possible through the hard work of our past board. CCPFH would like to take the opportunity to thank Shelton Barlow, Daniel Landry and Darryl MacIvor for their leadership and their support over the past three years.
We look forward to new and exciting projects with the current Board!